Music File transfer over Bluetooth/WiFi-Direct on WP8

| October 30, 2012 | 55 Replies

BT file transfer, in addition to NFC initiated BT file transfer had already been noted prior to WP8′s official launch by hands on with WP8 devices that had this feature mentioned in the device.

You can share Music/Documents/Pictures via Bluetooth to another Bluetooth (or NFC BT) capable device or use NFC-WiFi direct (P2P without the need for access point) which would be a lot faster.

Either way, it might be a convenient method for some people to transfer information between each other if they’re in relatively close proximity. BT file transfer will be appreciated in various parts of the world, especially where WiFi access or mobile internet access is either not that widely available or too expensive.

So, BT file sharing and Drag and Drop. Nothing to go ranting and raving about, but it may come in handy for the select folks that insisted on this being there.

Source: WMPU

Cheers Viipottaja for the tip!

Category: Lumia, Nokia

1. KeiZka says:

Kind of lost the track of “if it’s not in, it’s the end of the world/nokia” posts regarding this…

• Grendell says:

Not the end of the world but the lack of those symbian functionalities no doubt contributed to the number of those fans who fled from Nokia. Myself included. I’d really prefer it if Nokia stepped up to address this as it would also be a great source of differentiation compared to other WP8 competitors.

• Yash Chauhan says:

Glad you brought this up.

I have been a Nokia user since 2004. We had the Motorola craze back then, and a little later, the Sony Ericsson Walkman series was up top. However, I never left Nokia. Owned the N8 for a year. Was happy with it.

Last December they launched the Nokia Lumia 800. Of course, me as a Nokia Enthusiast and tech-lover was amongst the first to buy it in my country.

Terribly disappointed. I thought I could live without Bluetooth. But in a country as India where internet charges aren’t as cheap as onions (now they’ve risen in price too), and having required to connect to my computer -> terrible transfer experience through Zune, to transfer even 1 song, I was taken aback.
        Not to mention the terrible camera Nokia Lumia 800 had (gave every pic a blue tint :S).

I even wrote to Nokia India (well they asked me for feedback) without a response.

In less than 6 months I decided to give up. Good to see some people up top jumped to their senses.

Happy with my Samsung Galaxy Note, can’t see ONE disadvantage with it.
        Never coming back to Nokia.

• arts says:

But wont windows phone 8 solve most of that problems for you?

• Yash Chauhan says:

So, I buy a new phone every 6 months – 1 year and wait for Nokia to release new features in small packs till a new cell comes out?

Not fortunate enough to have that kind of money.
            Note is going to serve me for at least a good 2 years.

• arts says:

“I was hell bent on buying a Lumia in the first place because Anna was causing a lot of problems on my N8 and Belle was delayed till Feb(?).”

totally get you. and owh well, you have a point. =/ always a give and take with nokia stuff.

• Tom says:

buy a new phone a new 2 year contract? How is that single core Lumia 900 doing now that people bought 3 months back?

• migo says:

• Yash Chauhan says:

“I’ve got a friend with one. He’s perfectly happy with it. He’s not a cell phone geek though, and won’t care what other phones can do until the Lumia 900 breaks.”

I was too for a while. But like I mentioned before, not having Bluetooth was a huge handicap, only method of sending pics was by Email/Whatsapp : internet rates aren’t really dirt cheap here. Also, like I said, Zune wasn’t really convenient to transfer songs, especially when you’ve used something as simple as Symbian in the past.

• DesR85 says:

“Also, like I said, Zune wasn’t really convenient to transfer songs, especially when you’ve used something as simple as Symbian in the past.”

I found it pretty decent as a software to transfer files from my computer to the Lumia 800 and vice versa, even though I do miss the simplicity of USB file transfer on my 6700 Slide.

Still, I do not regret buying the former and will look forward to what WP7.8 offers.

• arts says:

it work the same as it did when it launched?

• Yash Chauhan says:

Here in India, we don’t have the contract system. All phones available are available for a price and you insert any SIM you want in them.
              Hence, a moderately-high-end phone (the Lumia 800 in this case) costs take or give a few 600US$ (Rs. 30,000 INR). So you end up shelling out a LOT.

• manu says:

my neighbour also has the same story he got a lumia 800 on first day,but later replaced it with galaxy note,he is now neither satisfied with note also. :D

• Yash Chauhan says:

VERY satisfied with Note. Using it since 4 months, can’t name a feature I would want more, nor something I would want to eliminate.
            And to top it, it has a better camera than Lumia 800, something Nokia used to have the monopoly in.
            (I believe it still holds that with PureView, but my money for Lumia 800 was worthless?)
            Also, for comparison sake, I downloaded Nokia Camera Extras on my Lumia 800 for a Panaroma test. I clicked the SAME picture with my SG Note. The quality of panaromas was exactly the same. Only difference I found between the two, was the exorbitant amount of time Lumia 800 took to stitch the panaraoma, something that was natively built in SG Note and didn’t take a second extra.

What worth my Lumia 800 money? (ps – Lumia 800 and SG Note cost the same)

• abcs says:

Manu, ‘he is now neither satisfied’?? Your neighbour satisfied or not satisfied with the Note?
            As for L800, yeah Yash’s complaint is a common one among Asia users(except maybe Spore who has high speed internet)

• truetrue says:

We’re glad you won’t be coming back to Nokia. You can stay with Android and the terrible security/reliability. Us Nokia fans will be quite happy with WP8 and Nokia’s customized apps for it.

• Bloob says:

Those features are very important, especially in markets where software / media piracy is rampant. Those market tend to be largest by head count and were / are Nokia’s strongest markets until cheap Androids.

• spencer1978 says:

OCTOBER 30, 2012 7:24 A.M.
      caleb23 wrote:
      Morningstar today about Nokia:

Share price assumption at this moment: 2.40 euro (Nokia share is in Helsinki right now 2.06 euro, in New York 2.56 dollar)

Best scenario (if WP8 phones go well): the stock price will go to about 7.70 euro per share)

Worst scenario: no bankruptcy, because Nokia would be sold in parts before that.
      Estimated price for this: intellectual properties over 1 euro per share;
      other business parts (smartphones, featurephones, NSN) at least over 1.50 euro per share.
      And NAVTEQ´s price not included (Nokia bought NAVTEQ with about 7 billion euro). All in all even in this case, Nokia share price would be at least over 2.5 euro. Pretty much like my thoughts and analysis.

• Tom says:

The way I see here, MS seems to be pushing more HTX 8x. Howz that working for you Mr Elop special relationship and differentiation? I am wondering how he defines ‘differentiation’ and what’s different about Nokia phones compared to HTC.

2. Paul says:

Is BT transfer for music files only or for all kind of files?

3. Cod3rror says:

Yet Wi-Fi Sync that even that crap WP7 had is gone.

And you cannot even lock screen orientation.

4. JGrove303 says:

Please, in depth Lumia WP8 revoew before the bitching commences@

5. dominique says:

does windows 8 phone support xvid/divx (avi) playback??

6. Reonhato says:

Finally. Maybe I can give WP a try now on my second SIM. Too bad the budget models only have 7.5-7.8?

• KeiZka says:

There’s 8S always. Well, it should be a budget model, what with its silly 1ghz dual core, 512mb RAM and 4gb mass storage.

• migo says:

If it gets priced at $250, it could be popular. The 820 should be the same.

Other than that, the main selling point of a $150 WP7.8 device is that it’s as reliable as a feature phone, but much more functional. Capabilities are more limited, but for some people it’s more important that for whatever it does, it does it consistently and without problem than having a multitude of features that may or may not work.

• KeiZka says:

Been hearing of 350€ price tag. And that’s way too hefty.

• migo says:

Yeah, with the exception of the Lumia 710, I’ve always felt that Nokia launched their phones at much too high a price. They’re still pricing the devices like when they were on top instead of realising that downward pricing will make them more competitive in the short term and help them regain market share.

• Bob says:

Lumia 820

7. ms.nokia says:

this should finally make many people happy … right ?
    bye bye android and hello nokia ??

8. Yoda says:

From all the Trolls funny to read comments it is!

9. jill says:

Guys, can anybody answer me plz?

Can I watch live broadcasts from tinychat, blogtv.com, ustream.tv on WP8?

What about Instagram for WP8? I have like almost 900 followers on my Instagram if I buy WP8 can I share pics as usual?

• Viipottaja says:

don’t know about the first one.

AFAIK, there are some instagram clients but no official app.

• Just forget WP8 and go for Android. Nexus 4 is cheap as hell with excellent hardware, if you can live without a high end camera. It has 8 MPix BSI sensor with f/2.4 optics, so the camera should be on par with iPhone and is more than enough for Instagram use. With Android you don’t have to worry about apps and you can tweak it as you please if needed. With $349 for 16 GB model, Nexus 4 will give you easily the best value for money.

10. guerrahp says:

Sheesh…way to innovate.

11. Raj says:

All jokes aside, lumia 920 is the first WP worth using for 2-3 months if given for free.

12. Fadi says:

Honestly, I feel that it’s totally worthless to buy a Lumia 920 when there’s something like the Nexus 4 which is A LOT cheaper than the Lumia.. The only difference is that the Nexus 4 doesn’t have a PureView camera, which to me is not a big deal at all since I own an 808 PureView.